Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence

Hello All,

My ex and I got engaged on the 4th of July....So it's a Loaded Holiday for me, no? YES! A friend wished me Happy Independence and I liked that. Sometimes when I'm worried about money or our future, I forget what is so great about my life now- that I have my independence.

My ex came to pick up my child (our child) yesterday for visitation and my son wanted to show him everything in his room, even how he sleeps in his bed. And then after they went through everything in the bedroom, he wanted his Dad to watch a Scooby Doo video with him on the couch. So my ex was in my house for over an hour, just hanging out! ARGGHHH. And then when he was leaving he told me he was sad, that it is a sad holiday for him.

spider web found this morning in my herb box

Boundaries. Need Boundaries. No more hanging out in my house, even if my child loves it. Yuck, the emotional confusion melts over everything in my life. If I had ice cream in the house I would have eaten it all. Instead I ate cereal for dinner. And then cookies. And watched an unimaginable number of Glee episodes on Netflicks. Wow, how come I hadn't discovered Glee before?? Amazing...

I wonder what other single parents eat when their child is off on visitation (your cue to comment if you like)...I notice I'm either eating eggs or cereal. Easy, quick food. Nothing gourmet. Nothing new. When my son is with his Dad it's as if I'm a college student taking a break from the intensity of life, except I'm also doing the laundry, scrubbing the bathroom, mopping the floors and cleaning out the fridge.

My life feels Intense! Parenting is so full on. And then so full off. It's as if there is a Parenting Switch on my back-On/Off. Right now, I'm off & I feel like a half parent. It was very strange to hear myself and my ex both talking with and parenting our child in my house yesterday. We usually only discuss parenting issues over the phone or email. He never gets to see or to be a part of my life with our child and I never get to see or to be a part of his. And my child doesn't get to see or hear his parents working through stuff together. It's a very odd and bittersweet way to have a family.

Grey shape of the Statue of Liberty as seen today, Brooklyn Promenade 

Love,
Single Momista

1 comment:

  1. Im trying a test here, sending myself a comment to see what happens.
    XO S.M.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Thank you for reading my blog. Please post a comment if you care to join the discussion. XO Single Momista