Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back to school season

Hello there,

My son is starting a Montessori program tomorrow after two weeks at home without daycare and I'm a nervous wreck! We did a Montessori crash course this weekend. It started with trying to reduce the Big Blue Babysitter (TV) that I have fallen into the habit of using this summer. We played with all the wooden toys we have in the house, practiced cleaning up together, discussed the play mat that everyone has for projects on the floor and we tried (and failed) to nap during their nap time, which starts at 12:30 pm.

We got excited about his lunchbox (from onesmallstep.com), personalizing it with stickers and we went shopping for lunch foods and snacks. I love his lunch box because to me it means that he can take my nurturing to school with him, but really, who am I kidding? I have a boy who seems to survive on milk alone, so I shouldn't expect much in the eating all my "lovely" lunch department.

I tried to pump up the excitement about the shirt he will wear the first day of school (an "S is for shark" shirt), and we talked about that might be sad but he will make new friends and all that. Really, as all you parents probably know, all that pumping up of stuff is as much for me as for him because I'm terrified and stressed and losing sleep! I have been trying to do some restorative yoga everyday to stay connected to myself this week before his new school starts.

On the Etsy site, I saw some wonderfully sewn felt hearts for kids to keep in their pockets at school and I made a variation out of a spare piece of my son's lovey/blanket. I stuffed it with torn apart cotton balls, as I did not have any fiber fill around. I think this will be an issue when I have to wash it, but until then I'm just not going to think about it!


Hopefully some of you other parents are taking care of yourselves as well during this back to school transition time!

Take care & carry on!
XO
Single Momista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, Thank you for reading my blog. Please post a comment if you care to join the discussion. XO Single Momista