Monday, March 26, 2012

Moving to greener pastures



Spring is here and all the earthy potential in Prospect Park wakens my dream of moving from the city. I want my boy to be able to run free and wild outside, and to have autonomy as he grows. I'm anticipating his city kid request to ride the subway alone here in Brooklyn and the answer is a solid NO. So, under the influence of the sweet smell of flowering trees, I return to a favorite past time of mine, the daydream that includes a garden and open space. With a body of water nearby. And a studio for myself. With a good cafe and a movie theater a walk away. And an awesome, teenaged babysitter who is always available and whom my son adores. 

Is the grass greener on the other side? Can anyone comment from experience about relocating as a single parent? I am mostly nervous about loneliness and isolation in a more rural environment...although honestly, I also experience being alone and isolated in the city. I never intended to stay in Brooklyn. And now that I am divorced, I am not tied to my ex's refusal to move anywhere. Living on a train line could easily keep the visitation active between my son and his dad. And my son is only four, so moving by Kindergarten seems like a possibility.

I also desire more autonomy from my ex. Constant contact with someone I purposefully divorced is my current challenge of co-parenting. He has been out of work the past five months and is doing more child care now, so I see him four times a week during pick up or drop off of my child. Before you yell out- why did you divorce this amazing guy who looks after his own kid, remember that I am an amazing Single Momista; I am a woman who looks after my own kid too! Yes, it is nice to have child care "help" from my son's father, but it comes with it's own price. While I do welcome the break from paying a babysitter or from having to physically run from work to get my son before his school closes, now I am also constantly stressed about whether or not I will receive child support each month. Next month is my one year anniversary of being divorced and it seems like I see my ex more than when we were married and trying to separate! Hm mmm, something has to be revised.

Back to greenery--here is a soup I made yesterday: Potato with Spring Greens and Herbs.

Mmm, fresh dill really makes this soup delicious!
Dream, dream, dream,
XO
Single Momista










1 comment:

  1. I think your dream sounds very nice! It is a good time to move so if you really want to do it, now is the time! We are in a less urban environment than I would prefer (for me) but for her it is great and one honestly has enough to do having a kid that I don't ever seem to get bored!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Thank you for reading my blog. Please post a comment if you care to join the discussion. XO Single Momista